Tuesday, May 6, 2014

To Mom and Dad.

My family is weird. Straight up. At least I think so. Ah, no. I know so. All the time I hear, "How did your parents end up together? They're so different!"
And gracious they are.
Basically, every personality trait my mom has, dad has the complete opposite and vice versa. Mom's always been the social butterfly, active and charismatic, while dad is the selectively social guy who likes to sit in his chair in the corner with a book.

Classic "opposites attract" scenario.

No seriously, I used my parents as an example for my SAT essay in high school. The prompt asked about opposites attracting as a good or bad thing. Glad I've had first hand experience.
It fascinates me honestly. As I've been on my own journey of figuring out my place in this world, I've constantly been reflecting on where I came from and who I belong to.
Mom and Dad.
Mark and Marla.
Oh. Boy.

The other night, my boyfriends' dad asked me, "So Briana, who are you more like? Your mom or your dad?"

I can proudly say both.

Yes. Proudly.

I want to be a teacher; I believe the true heart and ultimate philosophy of teaching is knowing how to be taught. Learning lessons by everyday life experiences. My very first teachers were my parents.

And even though they've taught me countless skills packed in my 20 years of life, it seems like just now I am grasping the BIG life lessons from them.

Mom.

I am your daughter, there's no denying that. People don't always see that though until they get to know you or I better.
You have a people spirit. You always see the good in everyone. Your heart has room and more for everybody it seems like.
You are creative. You dance to the beat of your own drum, and people are naturally drawn to you. They see you having fun and they want to have fun too!
You don't judge; you welcome.
You laugh and play.



We're two kindred hearts.
And faces.
You were a writer at my age too. You're a story teller and teacher. You're always up for trying something new. At my age, you were a musician, had your own shows and gigs. You performed, and in high school I found out I liked performing too. (Or maybe we just like attention....Nahh...)

I see you in me more and more.
There's just one more thing I NEED to learn from you.
How to cook!
Best chef I know is my mama.

Dad.

You're a nerd. Even now as I'm typing this you're flipping through 4 different books. Hah! I used to get so aggravated at you when I was younger. I would ask your advice about a problem with a friend or something I was sad about. And you know what you did. You said, "Well I have a book that could help you..." and go straight to the shelf, search for the bounded words of wisdom, and hand it to me.

Dr. Roberts


You taught me to figure out my gifts and passions and pursue them. You know God made us all different for a designed purpose. You love doctrine, philosophy, and politics.

Today was voting day. Dad had copies of ballots by the coffee maker for all the eligible voters of our house, ready to roll. You were pretty proud of your "Conservative Army" (as he called us) today. Be prepared. That's the Boy Scout motto.

You value knowledge and understanding. You debate and discuss. You like to keep life simple. You work hard. You are disciplined and very procedural.

You're incredibly sarcastic, and so am I.

Mom and Dad...


I've been part of your lives for twenty years. Your stories go deeper than that. Our family has been thrown some punches. We've felt the rawness and depravity of life. There were some ugly times.

God even used those times too.

Mom and Dad...

You've passed on the most important thing a child needs in life. You've passed on your faith. I hope to continue your legacy.


Some people don't understand you or our family. I do. And I do a lot more now than ever before. It's easy to criticize and list things that could have been done better... it's easy to hold on to the ugly things and be bitter.

But I've been taught so much more, humbled even. God's grace found it's way through your hearts and into ours.

I'm thankful.

1 comment:

  1. You nail it Bri. So glad I knew you family all those years.Good friend!!! I leave you with this......Look back in forgiveness, forward in hope, down in compassion and up with gratitude.

    ReplyDelete