Saturday, October 15, 2011

Just some serendipity... (:

Today has been one of those crisp fall days I daydream of. Not a cloud in the sky. The sun is bright, and gives you those tingles when you happen to stand in its open warmth. A day like today would be perfect for a wedding. Ahh yes. Fall, my favorite season.

This morning my sister and I met a group of friends for a 5k walk to support finding a cure for diabetes. I've actually been living with type 1 diabetes since December 5, 2008 (Yes, I remember the exact day...it was quite traumatic!) So we decided to do JDRF's walk to cure diabetes. It was great. We had good laughs, met other people, and got to enjoy a walk on a perfect fall day. (I needed the exercise too, I don't know what it is, but around this time every year my fluff starts to reappear)

Well after the walk, my sister and I visited a florist. It's our mom's birthday on Monday, so we ordered a bouquet to be delivered to where she works. (Shh to any of you who know my mom!) ;) My dad's birthday is today. I'm just doing some blogging until we start our little cook out for him. Can you believe that's all he asked for? Such a simple, easy to please man.

After we had been home a while, I got away in my room to just ready my Bible, journal, and pray. Just to have that precious time with God. Today I read in Romans chapter 12. Wow. Specifically verses 9-21 spoke to my heart. It says:

Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil;
hold fast to what is good. Love one another
with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in
showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal,
be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice
in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant
in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the
saints and seek to show hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and
do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice,
weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one
another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the
lowly. Never be conceited. Repay no one evil for
evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in
the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends
on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never
avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of
God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will
repay, says the Lord." To the contrary, "If your
enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give
him something to drink; for by so doing you will
heap burning coals on his head." Do not be
overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.


In my Bible, this passage is titled "Marks of the True Christian." I gotta say, I don't live like that. It's a shame really. Most of the time I don't give a second thought to what I am doing. But I should. I need to. I'm commanded to. Being a Christian is no cake walk. It's a battle. A battle between God and Satan, what is good and what is evil. A battle over our souls. I have no doubt in my mind that by God's grace I have been saved. But that does not make Satan give up. He is the joy stealer, and wants to drag us to join his misery. But God is victorious and has not left us without help. His spirit in us guides us, as long as we do not grieve it (take it where it should not go) or quench it (ignore it).

These verses should be at the forefront of my mind every day. I want to make a poster of them... Hmmm... Maybe that will be my next project ;)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts! I can actually hear your voice reading it lol. I miss you and your down to earth reasoning and Godly advice!

    ReplyDelete